Yes. With the right help, SEO can be learned and put into practice. Whether you are a marketing novice or a business owner trying to save a few quid, you will be able to pick up SEO basics to help your website rank on Google.
However, SEO tactics can be both time consuming and confusing. Search engine optimisation isn’t a “throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks” type of thing. For your SEO to be successful, it needs a well-planned-out SEO strategy.
And without the time, knowledge, or employee capacity, doing your own SEO can be a complete waste of resources. For this reason, many people choose to outsource their SEO to agencies and marketing professionals.
In this blog, we’re going to share our tips on how to do your own SEO.
Types Of SEO
Knowing where start when doing your own SEO can be challenging. To optimise your website for search engines, your SEO strategy needs to include on-site SEO and off-site SEO.
Plus, you need to be mindful of only using white-hat SEO tactics. Confused already? Don’t be. The industry jargon can easily throw you off, but it’s simple really.
On-site SEO, also known as on-page SEO, is the process of optimising your web pages, including landing pages and posts to improve search engine ranking and visibility. This includes:
- Carrying out keyword research to find keywords and phrases that web users will search for when looking for your product/service. Then placing keywords in specific places within your website (without keyword stuffing).
- Creating and uploading high-quality content based around your keywords, such as blog posts and articles that are useful to your target audience.
- Adding internal and external links to your web pages and posts.
- Adding title tag, meta descriptions and alt attributes to your pages.
- Adding relevant images with image alt tags.
- Customising URL’s
- Ensuring a page loads quickly and is mobile-friendly.
Off-site SEO tactics are the things you do to drive traffic back to your website and improve your rankings. This includes:
- Building organic backlinks by outreach and guest blogging.
- Influencer marketing
- Sharing links to your blogs and webpages on social media and in forums.
- Sending out an email newsletter with links back to your website
- Creating a Google ads campaign
White-Hat SEO vs Black-Hat SEO
When carrying out your SEO, it is crucial you are only doing white-hat SEO tactics. White-hat SEO tactics are ethical, legitimate and strongly-recommended by Google (and by us!).
Black-hat SEO is the opposite and can lead to Google penalising your website, which will damage your rankings. Black-hat SEO tactics include buying backlinks and keyword stuffing.
Useful Tools And Resources For Doing Your Own SEO
SEO blogs will be extremely useful when doing your own SEO. The GT Blog is full of tips and How-To guides on all things SEO. Other great blogs and websites include Moz’s SEO Learning Centre, Neil Patel’s blog and resources, and Search Engine Land’s guides.
Useful tools and plug-ins to help you carry out your SEO include:
- Se Ranking – great for keyword research and competitor research!
- SEMrush – An all-round fantastic SEO tool.
- Yoast – An website plug-in to help with your SEO.
- Answer The Public – Free SEO tools
- Website SEO Checker – great for checking domain authority and spam score etc.
- Google Search Console
SEO training is the best way to successfully carry out your very own SEO strategy. Even something as simple as learning how to write and upload great content will help your SEO efforts.
Once you have mastered the basics through training, you can build on your knowledge until you feel confident doing your own SEO.
Here at GrowTraffic, we offer affordable SEO training that is tailored to you and your skill level. Examples of our SEO training topics include Basic SEO Training, Social Media training, Content Creation training, Website Admin training and more.
We can deliver our training online, meaning you can enjoy cost-effective training tailored to you, wherever you are!
Outsourcing Your SEO
SEO is vital to your digital marketing strategy. If you want people to find your website, you need SEO. However, as you can see, a lot of time and hard work goes into on-site and off-site SEO.
If you don’t have time to teach yourself the SEO basics, or the time to actually carry out your SEO strategy, you may be best outsourcing your SEO efforts. You could hire an SEO expert to join your team, however, this is often a big investment that takes a lot of time and energy.
Outsourcing to a digital marketing agency or freelancer is often the best option.
Get In Touch
If you have any question about how to do your own SEO, or if you would like some help with your SEO strategy, feel free to get in touch.
GrowTraffic is an award-winning digital marketing agency based in Lancashire and Yorkshire. We specialise in SEO and Content Marketing – but we offer a wide range of digital marketing services.