We recently published a blog discussing the changes to how keywords appear in the search engines following several Google updates.
GrowTraffic team members, Rachel, Hannah and Dalley then discussed the changing landscape of keywords on GTFO (GrowTraffic Figures It Out), the GT Friday Facebook Live, which is available to watch on Facebook and Youtube. It’s also available as a podcast on all major streaming services.
How Are Keywords Changing? – The Discussion
In the video, the GT experts outlined the changes that have impacted keywords and shared their top tips on what to consider when choosing keywords. You can watch the video here:
There have been a lot of algorithm updates over the course of the summer of 21, but what impact have they had on keywords? The GT team are here to explain. #SEO #Keywords #SearchEngineAlgorithms
Posted by GrowTraffic on Friday, 3 September 2021
Top 5 Points To Takeaway
There’s a lot of useful advice in the GT video. Here are the top five things the GrowTraffic team want you to takeaway from the discussion about how keywords are changing:
- There’s more definition in the SERPs (search engine results pages). If you are using 1-2 word keywords, think about the impact these keywords are going to have on the search volume. Are these keywords detailed enough to specifically target your audience? Consider using niche and longtail keywords and phrases.
- User intent is changing. User intent appears to change every time there is a Google algorithm update as Google is constantly aiming to better understand the user. Have you thought about what people actually mean when they are using that keyword? Are you meeting the need of the user? Find out how to optimise for user intent here.
- Small volume keywords can make a big difference. Don’t shy away from niche, small volume keywords, especially if you have an e-commerce website or you’re a smaller business with a lower search volume. Targeting small volume keywords and phrases is a good way to increase conversions.
- Voice search is on the rise. Think about long term keywords and phrases. The number of people using voice search (i.e. smart speakers such as Google Nest, Amazon Alexa, Portal by Facebook etc.) is increasing. Many people tend to ask questions. Consider this when choosing keywords and phrases. Provide valuable answers to popular questions within your content to hit long term keywords.
- It’s important to regularly review your keywords. We’re not saying you need to overhaul your keyword strategy, but keeping an eye on which keywords are performing better than others is always a good idea. With so many plates spinning, it is impossible to ensure that all keywords perform well. Instead, you need to understand, anticipate and expect that some keywords will drop when others are succeeding. Creating plenty of content around a keyword over a period of time will help you to stabilise that keyword in a good position on Google. Once it is stabilised, you can move onto another keyword. However, remember to keep an eye on the keyword you have stabilised as it may dip.
Need Help With Your Keywords?
If you have any questions about the information covered in the video, head to the video on our FB page or Youtube page and leave a comment. We read and reply to all comments!
Here at GrowTraffic, we are a digital marketing agency that specialises in SEO and content marketing. If you need help with your keyword strategy, get in touch with our team. You can call us on 0161 706 0012 or send us an email at email@example.com.