Have you ever wondered why you opened that blog, or why it captured your attention? It’s probably because of the Headline/Title. It captured your attention and you clicked.
A blogs title is created in a way to attract readers and makes them curious to learn more. It plays a critical role in driving traffic to your blog and improving search engine rankings.
This is your chance to make a great first impression if the customer is just getting familiar with your brand via your website, landing pages, blog posts, and emails. You have to write something that entices them to come back for more.
In this GrowTraffic blog, we are exploring the effect of headlines and titles and how they impact your traffic and click through rate.
Why Are Content Headlines Important?
There are a number of reasons why content headlines and titles are important, let me explain:
- Attention Grabbing – The role of the headline is to grab attention, and in our digital world, to generate traffic to your website. Writing a quality piece of content doesn’t mean much if it is never seen or read. And it’s the role of the headline to make sure that potential customers click back onto your website. This means that with a great headline, you can promote your content on social media platforms, and be sure to generate website traffic too.
- Improving SEO For Your Content-The headline for your new blog post or article can be essential for your search engine optimisation (SEO) strategy. This is because a quality headline uses the perfect keyword combination to make sure that your article or blog lands a top result in the search engine results page (SERP). And once on the SERP, the headline, alongside the snippet of text, is all that your potential customers can use to decide whether or not to click on the article. A great headline will typically result in more traffic.
4 Tips For A Strong And Unique Blog Title
Before you start thinking of ideas for blog titles, let’s take a look at what makes a strong and unique one:
1. Keywords Are Key
A crucial part to any headline and title is visibility on the SERP’s. The only way to get that is to target the correct keyword for your content. A great tool that will help you is a keyword resource such as the Google AdWords Keyword Planner Tool, AnswerThePublic and Moz. Find the top performing words in your article and generate the perfect title out of those, further optimising your piece and ranking higher in an organic search.
2. Once Clicked, You Need To Add Value
It is vital to create content that gives value to your readers. Your headline should deliver a clear benefit for the people clicking on your blog.
Use specific words in the title to describe the topic and define its value proposition. Ask yourself:
- Why should someone read my blog post?
- What does my blog post have that others don’t?
- How do I offer value through my blog’s content?
The answer to these questions creates your value proposition.
3. Use Emotional Words
Another way to make sure that your headline is attention-grabbing is to use emotional words. These are words that evoke an emotional response in people.
The top five emotional words are:
One way that many bloggers do this is by using an emotional question in their headline. These questions tend to make readers wonder about what the answer might be, which causes them to click on it and read more.
4. Test, Monitor And Put Yourself In The Shoes Of The Reader
When you do this, you want your “keen” editor’s eye in play so you can ask yourself one question: does the blog post title match the contents in the body of the article? All too often, writers begin with an article in mind and then simply go off track.
Test and monitor your headline titles. Yes, it totally depends on your keyword, and it’s search volume and competitors but be realistic in the field you’re writing about and monitor your future content strategy accordingly.
Search Engine Optimisation Specialists: Growtraffic
We are a multi-award-winning digital marketing agency based in Lancashire and Yorkshire that offers a wide range of digital marketing services.
We look forward to hearing from you!