It’s fairly uncommon for a WordPress website to be unable to establish a database connection. But it does happen and we’ve dealt with this situation a load of times. Iyou fixf you’ve been unlucky enough to get the ‘Error establishing a database connection’ browser message, hopefully this blog post will help you fix it.
However, there are a number of circumstances in which this issue to arise – these include:
- Incorrect database login credentials (username, password, hostname) in the WordPress configuration file (wp-config.php)
- The database server is offline or unavailable
- Recent changes to the website, such as changing the database name or login credentials, have caused the connection issue
- There is an issue with the database itself, for example there is a corruption or a problem with the database tables
- There is an issue with the hosting environment, such as a problem with the server or a conflict with another plugin or theme
There are a few steps you can take to try and fix a WordPress website that can’t establish a database connection:
- Check your database login credentials (username, password, and hostname) in your WordPress configuration file (wp-config.php). Make sure they are correct and match the login credentials for your database.
- Check if your database server is running. Contact your hosting provider or check with them to make sure the database server is online and available.
- If you recently made changes to your website, such as changing the database name or login credentials, try rolling back those changes to see if that resolves the issue.
- If you are unable to access your WordPress dashboard, you can try repairing your database by adding the following line of code to your wp-config.php file:
define( ‘WP_ALLOW_REPAIR’, true );
This will allow you to run the WordPress database repair tool from your browser by visiting the following URL:
If none of the above steps work, it may be necessary to restore your website from a backup. Contact your hosting provider or a WordPress developer for assistance with this.
Feel free to get in touch if you need some help with re-establishing your WordPress website’s database connection. We’ve done it a load of times and we’d be happy to help you out. Contact us today for help.